Books that have shaped me

below is the list (not in any order) of my book suggestions that we referred to in another post.
This lists some books that have shaped my view of the world (especially philosophy of mind and AI). I do not, naturally, expect everyone to agree with what I have chosen. I am nevertheless listing it via a separate post in case others are interested/curious.

Included in this list are some works of fiction which may be a surprise to some. However, an understanding of science and art is never complete without literature’s weltanschauung. ("I don't paint what I see, I paint what I know." Picasso)



No
Genre
Author
Book Title
My thoughts


Joseph Campbell
The Power of Myth



Joseph Campbell
The Myths We Live By


Philosophy/Cognitive Science
Douglas Hofstadter & Daniel C Dennett (eds)
Mind's I: Fantasies and Reflections on Self and Soul



Douglas Hofstadter
Godel, Escher, Bach



Albert Einstein
Ideas and Opinions



Jim Holt
Why Does the World Exist?: An Existential Detective Story



Eric R Kandel
In Search of Memory: The Emergence of a New Science of Mind



Matthieu Ricard and Trinh Xuan Thuan
The Quantum and the Lotus: A Journey to the Frontiers Where Science and Buddhism Meet


Psychology/Buddhism
The Dalai Lama and Francisco J Varela
Sleeping, Dreaming, and Dying



Ken Wilber
Quantum Questions: Mystical Writings of the World's Greatest Physicists



Timothy Ferris (ed)
World Treasury of Physics, Astronomy and Mathematics



Stephen Hawking
A Brief History of Time



Marilynne Robinson
Absence of Mind: The Dispelling of Inwardness from the Modern Myth of the Self



Stephen S. Hall
Wisdom: From Philosophy to Neuroscience



Jorge Luis Borges
Labyrinths


Fiction
W Somerset Maugham
Razor's Edge



Peter Matthiessen
Snow Leopard



B. Alan Wallace
Choosing Reality



James Gleick
Chaos



Daniel J Levitin
This is Your Brain on Music: The Science of a Human Obsession



Anthony Storr
Music and the Mind


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What do mosquitoes have to do with management?

Philosophy Now Magazine - Question of the Month

An illness and a joy